The first and the largest of Paseos Amazonicos Jungle Lodges facilities, is located on the Sinchicuy Creek, a tributary of the Amazon River (45 minutes downriver, NE of Iquitos) near the river community of Santa Maria de Ojeal.
This lodge has been built on high terrain (it never flows). After walking up the stairs that connects the wharf with the lodge, visitors find themselves in what it seems a beautiful tropical garden where a great diversity of flowers, birds and butterflies abound. Found within the spacious "main house", the lobby, the front desk and the dining-room and bar areas; right next and connected to this building by an elevated walkway, stands the panoramic "round house" used as reading-room, gallery, auditorium and also as second dining facility whenever necessary to serve large groups.
Rooms are located on the opposite side of the "round house" and like-wise connected to the "main house" by an elevated walkway. Most of the 32 rooms are doubles but there are also triple and even quad rooms. All of them have private bathrooms with shower. Rooms and public areas are screen-protected against insect and intruding wildlife. Additional to the previously mentioned buildings and rooms, this lodge has a hammock room, an observation deck to the creek, kitchen, storage rooms, laundry, public bathrooms and service support facilities.
The Amazonas Sinchicuy employs sustained water supply and water treatment systems; environment friendly solid and liquid waste disposal and biodegradables treatment; approved fire safety devices and procedures; food conservation equipment and SFHP (Safe Food Handling Practices) in the food and beverage service; emergency telephone connection 24 hours a day.
Also, the Amazonas Sinchicuy has rooms and specially designed facilities for people with disabilities.
IQUITOS - AMAZON RIVER - PERU
Amazing Jungle Adventure
(3 days / 2 nights)
Meet the Amazon Rainforest and its inhabitants, their customs, traditions and daily activities in a 38-mile trip in two ecosystems (the Sinchicuy and the Yanayacu Watersheds); experience the encounter with the river, the flora and fauna, the natural environment on which the Amazon people depend for their living.
Day 01: .... (Lima) / Iquitos / Amazonas Sinchicuy Lodge (L-D)
- Meet and greet at the Iquitos Airport from where you will be transferred to the city (you will briefly sightsee the tourist highlights of Iquitos along the way).
- Transfer in the morning from your hotel to the river wharf.
- Speed boat trip on the Amazon, the world’s largest river. During the trip, you will see the magnificence of the Amazon, the exuberance of the jungle and the picturesque villages appearing on the shores with their particular color and joy.
- Arrival and accommodation in the Amazonas Sinchicuy Lodge located 45 minutes from Iquitos. The native-style lodge built with natural materials is upon high ground, surrounded by trees, plants and flowers, where birds and butterflies roam.
- Refreshing “welcome drink” made with regional fruit (cocona, camu camu, copoazu, other) and brief instructions about the sustained conservation standards that must be observed in the lodge and its surroundings in order to make your tour best enjoyable.
Eco-cultural Circuit (The Sinchicuy Watershed Ecosystem)
- Short walk or canoe ride in the afternoon –depending on the season- to “Nuevo Peru” where a Yagua community has established. You will get acquainted with their customs, see their unique apparel made of palm fibers and even try their “pucuna” or blowgun.
- Lunch at the Amazonas Sinchicuy. Gastronomy in the lodge is based upon the ample use of natural and fresh products from the river and the local farmlands.
- Guided ethnobotanic walk in the afternoon. You will be able to identify species of the Amazon plant kingdom (Cat’s Claw, Sour Cane, Copaiba, Aguaje and even Ayahuasca, the hallucinogen vine).
- Visit the local “shaman” who will explain about the marvelous healing properties and use of some of these plants and roots.
- Tour the Santa María del Ojeal farmlands where you will visit the sugar cane squeeze, the fruit orchard, the fish culture pond; see the Amazon breed cattle and artisanal dugout canoe fishing performed on the river by locals.
- Visit a typical village on the shores of the Amazon, see the homes, schools, churches, shops and interact with its people.
- Visit the community’s sustained development projects and the Wildlife Rescue Center that are being made possible with ecotourism support.
- Observe the beautiful sunset on the Amazon River.
- Evening canoe ride or walk to discover the awesome world of night insects, cicadas, spiders, praying mantis, etc. Listen to the owls and pootos.
- Tales and legends from the rich Amazon myths told by the guides after dinner and/or a short pleasant musical performance by our lodge staff.
Day 02: Amazonas Sinchicuy Lodge / Tambo Yanayacu Lodge / Amazonas Sinchicuy Lodge(B-L-D)
- Birdwatching during the morning early hours (before 6 a.m.).
- Breakfast at the Amazonas Sinchicuy.
Flora and Fauna Circuit (The Yanayacu Watershed Ecosystem)
- After breakfast you will motorboat to the opposite side of the Amazon River. During the trip you might spot river dolphins, main characters of fantastic tales and legends of the Amazon Myths.
- See typical riverside landscape plantations.
- Walk on tropical rainforest trail and boat or canoe on the Yanayacu River to the Tambo Yanayacu Lodge located in the “Kingdom of the Giant Trees”.
- Watch the rich avian fauna of the area.
- See the diverse medicinal plants, epiphyte plants (bromeliads) growing high on the trees, and giant flora like the “lupuna” or ceiba tree species over 150-feet high.
- Search for primates and sloths that mimetize with the forest canopy.
- Lunch at the Tambo Yanayacu (38 Miles NE of Iquitos).
- Native-style fishing on the river for piranhas and other species.
- Return to the Amazonas Sinchicuy in the afternoon.
- After a few minutes to rest in the Amazonas Sinchicuy, you will be part of the reforestation program activity Plant-a-Tree in an area near the lodge.
- Dinner at the Amazonas Sinchicuy.
Day 03: Amazonas Sinchicuy Lodge / Iquitos / (Lima) .... (B-L)
- Breakfast at the Amazonas Sinchicuy.
- Excursion to an Amazon River village.
- Lunch at the Amazonas Sinchicuy.
- Return by boat in the afternoon to Iquitos and transferred back to your hotel or to the airport at a convenient time to board your flight.